Disclaimer

The content of these blog posts and pages should be considered general information for educational purposes only. The author will bear no responsibility or liability for any action taken by any person, persons or organisation based on this information.

Facebook page

Check out my facebook page here

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Millionaire Mindset

I've been reading a lot lately about the 'universal law of attraction'.  There are plenty of books out there which advocate that if you think positive thoughts, positive things will happen for you.  And money is no different apparently.  The theory goes that if you put yourself in a positive vibration, or imagine yourself in abundance, that money will be attracted to you.

If you ask people about whether they have enough money, most will admit to wanting more.  Many will by lottery tickets in the hope of winning "The Big One" so that they don't have to worry about money anymore.  Worrying about money is apparently a negative vibration which keeps money away.
I have been practicing positive thoughts about money for a couple of years now and I admit that (in conjunction with good money habits), I no longer worry about money.  I always have enough for what I want or need at the time.  If I need more, there is always an opportunity for me to get some more from somewhere.

It wasn't until yesterday that I actually saw this theory work in reverse.  A friend of mine has a business in town and I happened to run into him.  After a short conversation, I asked him to do a quick job for me which was related to his business.  He wasn't busy and fixed me up in about fifteen minutes.  I tried to pay him the going rate, but he wanted to waive the fee because we are friends.  This must happen a lot to my friend.  We live in a small town where everyone knows each other and you will always stop for a chat in the street with someone.  If you gave a free service to every one of these people, you could not possibly make a living.  And that's exactly the type of friends that we are.  We don't interact socially except at community functions.  We have never phoned each other, and our interactions are really limited to chance encounters when we both happen to be in town, which is about once every 4 or 5 months.  I insisted that my friend take payment, or I would not feel comfortable asking for his services again.  He took the money.  Then he did the most extraordinary thing.  He threw it away. The money stayed in his hand for about a minute and a half before it got handed over to the newsagent.  If my friend had bought stationery or a magazine or something he wanted, then fine but the entire amount was spent on a lottery ticket, which he promised to split with me, should it be a winner.

This really cemented the theory in place for me.  Good money habits are all well and good but if you don't like money or you think negatively about it, you will find it impossible to hang on to.  It appeared to me that my friend felt so guilty about having my money, even though it was earned, that he had to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

Does this happen to you?  Do you think money is 'dirty' or 'evil'? If so, you may never get ahead financially.  Have a good think about what your money beliefs are.  Do you feel like you have to get rid of it, or are you happy to accept payment for reasonable work? If you don't feel like you deserve to have money perhaps you need to work on changing your beliefs.  If people give you money willingly, then that is a good indication that you are worth it.  Take the money and do something worthwhile with it.  I approach taking money the same way that I take compliments.  I say "thank you".

No comments:

Post a Comment